Skip to main content

Life goes on…

 People give a variety of reactions when we mention the scourge of the earth-the oppressed and the downtrodden. Some cringe, some show pity, some are disgusted and a few try to free them from their despair. Respect is something they don’t get, respect for surviving for so long without aid or interference. They haven’t gone to school like us, life is their classroom. They have learnt to cope with the situations and improvise with new ones on the run. One mistake is all it takes to perish the entire community so there isn't room for failure. Just for this, the ability to go on, they deserve respect. Sustainability is after all survival with security and self respect. How can we aim for sustainable development if these two factors evade them?

To truly make them our equal, it is not enough to just reallocate resources from the rich to the poor. The challenge is to build an institution which can sustain on its own the progress which has resulted from interventions of NGOs or help groups. They need to be independent by

·         Building social structures which take the progress ahead

·         Creating their own resources and capital

·         Increasing their income and building earning capacity.


To summarise, create a community which ensures that its independence is well guarded against those who need the oppressors to thrive.

Some NGOs have taken upon themselves the unenviable task of doing what the governments have failed to fulfil-try to liberate the poor by providing them aids. They try to pull them up and make them equal partners in progress. However, due to dependency on external aids, politics and many reasons their efforts are in vain. If they succeed, they fail to successfully withdraw in a manner that the progress they have brought in the community can be sustained and carried further. The need of the hour is building a sustainable community. Only then can we talk about any development at all. This doesn’t mean that we stop trying; the worst that will happen on failure is the liberation of the oppressed is delayed. They are not losing anything either ways except their shackles if we succeed. Even worse is setting our goals too low. If such an intervention fails, another intervention might not be welcome into the community as they lose hope of any growth at all. Either ways, they will continue surviving as it is all they know how to do. Their life will go on… 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Shitty Story

This piece of writing is shit, get out while you can. Honestly. Lot of poo-talk coming up. Ok I warned you. I began writing this article when I joined the organisation I work for today. The biggest boss asked the new employees to write our "Sanitation Story". I am not sure if I was supposed to take a look at my life with a sanitation lens or sanitise my lens on life. I half wrote that piece and left it alone, like almost everything I do. Honestly if my life was a short story, it would be left incomplete, trailing, gathering dust and moths for years. After spending more than three years working here, I started going through these half baked lines of verbal diarrhoea and thought there is something here I should explore, and finish, for a change. So here is a small part of it, just the beginning because the middle is not written yet, I am still living it. Sanitation as a word was introduced long after I was able to think coherently and I don't remember when I just knew it.

Rainy Sunday

I moved to Bangalore a month and a half ago, but this is the first weekend I spent by myself in my home. It wasn’t easy making a house a home. Its not just things which help, but something extra, which I am still looking for. A vision I always had in my head was to be able to sit in my room, look out the window when it rains and have a hot piping cup of coffee. Bangalore is blessed with the best weather ever, among all the metros I have been to. It was just one of those days when the earth’s powers combined and gave me a perfectly rainy day, alone in my house on a Sunday, with nothing that pressing to do. As soon as the clouds which had been hanging around parted to give the first hint of the sweet rainy smell, I ran to whip up a frothy piping cup of coffee. By the time it was raining, I had a hot piping coffee in my hand, perfectly positioned seat and perfectly beautiful jazz playing in the background. Something still didn’t feel right, something was missing, or I should say som